Franklin Township was first organized in 1723 as part of New London Township and became a separate township in 1852. It is named for Benjamin Franklin, who in 1764 acquired land here when a post office debt was settled. The Township's development is closely intertwined with the success of agriculture, the gradual construction and improvement of roadways, and more recently, suburban growth in Chester County and the Wilmington-Newark metropolitan area.
Including info on how to preserve family stories by capturing oral histories on a smartphone or tablet.
Many of the maps, postcards, photographs, and other images of items shown here were scanned by residents and neighbors of Franklin Township, and the scans made freely available to the Franklin Township Historical Commission, for which we are very grateful. Persons are not credited by name to protect their privacy. Other items come from public sources.
If you would like to share scans of postcards, photographs, maps, or other memorabilia with the Commission, please contact Franklin Township by email at email@example.com.